Earth-Friendly, Natural, and Unique.
Sisal carpet is growing in popularity in the greater Medford, Oregon area because of its rustic look and its earth-friendliness. The carpets are made from the fibers of a cactus-like plant called Agave sisalana, native to Africa and Southern Mexico. Once the leaves are cut, fibers are extracted. These fibers are cut, dried, and treated to produce a twine like fiber that can then be woven into rugs. Just like hemp and coir, sisal provides durability that most manmade materials can’t match. Because of its durability, sisal doesn’t show the wear patterns common in wall-to-wall carpeting.
Other benefits of sisal carpet include:
- It’s naturally stain-resistant, so it doesn’t require any chemical treatments that may be harmful to children and pets.
- It repels dust and static electricity.
- It absorbs sound better than other carpeting material.
- It’s naturally flame-resistant.
- It can be combined with other natural fibers such as wool or sea grass.
However, you should also consider that:
- Sisal does not do well with moisture and should be avoided in a mudroom or bathroom.
- It may feel rough underfoot compared to traditional carpet materials, so it may not be best to sit or lie on for extensive periods.
- Can be prone to color-fading especially with prolonged exposure to the sun.
Let the experts at Floor Coverings International of Medford and Klamath Falls help you find a sisal carpet that’s just right for you and your home. Contact us today to schedule your free in-home consultation! We proudly serve the greater Medford and Klamath Falls, Oregon areas.